When this new Classics Club game was announced a few days ago I wasn’t sure whether I wanted to join in or not, but in the end I couldn’t resist. Here are the rules:
- Pick twenty books that you’ve got left to read from your Classics Club List.
- Try to challenge yourself: list five you are dreading/hesitant to read, five you can’t WAIT to read, five you are neutral about, and five free choice (favorite author, rereads, ancients — whatever you choose.)
- Post that list, numbered 1-20, on your blog by next Monday.
- Monday morning, we’ll announce a number from 1-20. Go to the list of twenty books you posted, and select the book that corresponds to the number we announce.
- The challenge is to read that book by April 1
And here is my list:
Five books I’m looking forward to reading:
1. The Heir of Redclyffe by Charlotte M. Yonge
2. Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy
3. Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini
4. Twenty Years After by Alexandre Dumas
5. Frenchman’s Creek by Daphne du Maurier
Five books I’ve been hesitant to read:
6. The Odyssey by Homer
7. The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky
8. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
9. East of Eden by John Steinbeck
10. Washington Square by Henry James
Five Victorian books
11. The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot
12. Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell
13. Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray
14. Aurora Floyd by Mary Elizabeth Braddon
15. Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne
Five from the twentieth century:
16. The Painted Veil by W Somerset Maugham
17. The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton
18. Excellent Women by Barbara Pym
19. Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys
20. Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons
Now I just have to wait for Monday to find out which book I’ll be reading!
UPDATE: Monday 18th February 2013
So the number has been announced and I will be reading…
#14 – Aurora Floyd by Mary Elizabeth Braddon!
I’m very happy with this as it’s a book I’ve been wanting to read for a long time and as I loved the other two Braddon books I’ve read (Lady Audley’s Secret and The Doctor’s Wife) I’m expecting to enjoy this one too.