I love the Classics Club Spins but wasn’t sure whether to take part in this one as I know April and May are going to be busy months for me – and I’ve already started reading The Eustace Diamonds for Karen’s Anthony Trollope Bicentennial Celebration. In the end, though, I couldn’t resist joining in.
If you don’t know what the Spin involves, here are the rules:
* List any twenty books you have left to read from your Classics Club list.
* Number them from 1 to 20.
* Next Monday the Classics Club will announce a number.
* This is the book you need to read by 15th May.
And here is my list:
1. The Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy
2. A Country Doctor’s Notebook by Mikhail Bulgakov
3. The Time Machine by H.G. Wells
4. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
5. The Vicomte de Bragelonne by Alexandre Dumas
6. Mary Anne by Daphne du Maurier
7. Cyrano de Bergerac by Edmond Rostand
8. Howards End by E.M. Forster
9. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte (re-read)
10. The Moon and Sixpence by W Somerset Maugham
11. Excellent Women by Barbara Pym
12. The Sea-Hawk by Rafael Sabatini
13. Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens
14. Prince of Foxes by Samuel Shellabarger
15. Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne
16. The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham
17. The Leopard by Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa
18. The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde
19. The Glass-Blowers by Daphne du Maurier
20. The Woodlanders by Thomas Hardy
Most of these are books that I’m really looking forward to reading, or at least that I’m not dreading. I don’t need any more stress in my life at the moment! There are some that have been included on almost all of my previous Classics Spin lists and there are others I’m listing for the first time.
Now I just have to wait until Monday to find out what I’ll be reading!