Happy New Year! I hope everyone’s 2020 reading is getting off to a good start. My first read of the year is Big Sky by Kate Atkinson, which I’m enjoying so far. What’s yours?
When I posted my ‘favourite books of 2019’ list a few days ago, I mentioned that although I had read a lot of good books in 2019, there were very few that I can honestly say I loved. I’m not entirely sure why that is, but I think one of the reasons is that, particularly in the final months of the year, I was concentrating mainly on new releases and getting through my backlog of NetGalley review copies, and reading fewer of the older books that usually turn out to be my favourites. I want 2020 to be a more enjoyable reading year so, without being too specific in terms of targets and numbers, I have put together a short list of resolutions:
* Read more of the books that are already on my own shelves, some of which have been waiting for years for the ‘right time to read them’ to arrive.
* Re-read some old favourites – and don’t feel guilty for taking the time to do so.
* Find a better balance between trying new authors and reading books by authors I already know and love.
* Continue with some of the series and trilogies I started years ago and inexplicably abandoned after one or two books, despite loving those one or two books!
* Be more ruthless about giving up on books that I’m not enjoying, rather than persevering to the end.
I’m hoping that by trying to follow these resolutions throughout 2020 I can make every book I pick up a potential book of the year!
Do you have any reading resolutions or plans for 2020?