Things have been very quiet over at the Classics Club lately, so I was pleased to see that a new Classics Spin was announced yesterday!
Here is a reminder of the rules:
* List any twenty books you have left to read from your Classics Club list.
* Number them from 1 to 20.
* On Monday the Classics Club will announce a number.
* This is the book you need to read by 23rd October.
And here is my list:
1. Shirley by Charlotte Bronte
2. The Time Machine by H.G. Wells
3. The Woodlanders by Thomas Hardy
4. The Leopard by Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa
5. The Glass-Blowers by Daphne du Maurier
6. The Master of Ballantrae by Robert Louis Stevenson
7. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
8. The Romance of the Forest by Ann Radcliffe
9. Louise de la Valliere by Alexandre Dumas
10. Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne
11. The Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy
12. Excellent Women by Barbara Pym
13. East of Eden by John Steinbeck
14. The Sea-Hawk by Rafael Sabatini
15. Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens
16. Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset
17. Prince of Foxes by Samuel Shellabarger
18. The Cloister and the Hearth by Charles Reade
19. Mary Anne by Daphne du Maurier
20. Howards End by E.M. Forster
I think I’ll be happy with most of these (though I’m not sure about Steinbeck and if I get Kristin Lavransdatter I might need to forget about the deadline date). I’m particularly hoping for one of the du Maurier or Hardy novels, Prince of Foxes, The Sea-Hawk or The Leopard.
Have you read any of these books? And are you taking part in the spin?