The Classics Club have just announced another of their Classics Spins. It’s hard to believe this will be the thirteenth! I probably shouldn’t be taking part in this one as I haven’t even finished my book from the last Spin yet (although I think I have a good excuse, considering it was Kristin Lavransdatter) but as usual I couldn’t resist joining in.
Here is a reminder of the Spin rules:
* List any twenty books you have left to read from your Classics Club list.
* Number them from 1 to 20.
* On Monday the Classics Club will announce a number.
* This is the book you need to read by 1st August 2016
And here is my list:
1. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte (re-read)
2. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
3. Louise de la Valliere by Alexandre Dumas
4. Frenchman’s Creek by Daphne du Maurier
5. The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot
6. Howards End by EM Forster
7. I, Claudius by Robert Graves
8. Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell
9. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas (re-read)
10. The Woodlanders by Thomas Hardy
11. Excellent Women by Barbara Pym
12. The Red House Mystery by AA Milne
13. East of Eden by John Steinbeck
14. The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham
15. Prince of Foxes by Samuel Shellabarger
16. The Leopard by Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa
17. The Romance of the Forest by Ann Radcliffe
18. Lost Horizon by James Hilton
19. Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (re-read)
20. Louise de la Valliere by Alexandre Dumas
I have exactly twenty books left to read for the Classics Club, so this list was very easy to put together. However, I haven’t included The Man in the Iron Mask as it comes after Louise de la Valliere in the d’Artagnan series and I don’t want to read them out of order. I’ve listed Louise twice instead.
I don’t really mind which book I get at this stage as I’ll be reading them all soon anyway. I’m always happy with Dumas or du Maurier, though, and I would also love to get The Leopard this time.
Are you taking part in the Classics Spin? Which books from my list do you think I should be hoping for?
21 thoughts on “Classics Spin #13: My list”
Nice list! I have read lots of them, especially at the beginning of the list. I think there are only five that I haven’t read, but I can’t remember if I read Lost Horizon or not.
I don’t know much about Lost Horizon but I thought it sounded interesting. I’ll be happy if I get that one.
I think I saw the movie. It’s a utopian novel, which isn’t my favorite.
Good luck with the Spin! I will also be taking part and my list will be up tomorrow. I would really like to get The Sign of the Four, The Tenant of Wildfel Hall or The Man in the Iron Mask 🙂
Thanks – I’ll look forward to seeing your list tomorrow. 🙂
I have read and enjoyed 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 12. I have Excellent Women on my list too, and though I don’t have any Dumas, having just finished The Sun King Conspiracy I am now intrigued by his books. Happy spinning!
Oh, I love Dumas! The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my favourite books. 🙂 I would be happy with Excellent Women too as I enjoyed my first Barbara Pym novel (Less than Angels) and have been looking forward to reading more.
Nice list! Hope you get The Leopard this time! 🙂
I would love to get The Leopard! I think I’ll be tempted to read it very soon anyway, even if it doesn’t come up in the spin.
That is a great list. I’ve read a lot of them but I would particularly want to get I.Claudius. I intend to read that sometime soonish.
I’ll be happy with most of the books on my list, but I, Claudius is one that I’m particularly looking forward to reading. 🙂
Despite a lot of these being well known, I’ve read surprisingly few of them. They pretty much all sound good – I hope you get The Day of the Triffids, just because I love Wyndham… 🙂
I’ve only read one book by Wyndham so far (The Midwich Cuckoos) but I loved it and can’t wait to read more of his books.
Some wonderful options whichever way the spin rolls for you.
I have a Pym on my list too 🙂
I’ll be very happy if the spin gives me Excellent Women. I’m looking forward to reading more Pym. 🙂
Great list! I’m not participating this time as I’m in the middle of an enormous move, but I really hope you get Wives & Daughters or Excellent Women — two of my favorite books of all time. Good luck on Monday!
Thanks, Karen! I love Elizabeth Gaskell so I’ll be pleased if I get Wives and Daughters. Excellent Women is one that I’m particularly excited about reading too.
I think you’re in for several treats! Howard’s End! Wives and Daughters! Excellent Women
I’m hoping to read all three of those soon even if I don’t get them in this spin. 🙂
I have read 7 of the books on your list. That made me feel better because I am so often reading current fiction these days. I would wish for you Crime and Punishment and The Day of the Triffids!
The spin result has been announced now (number 15) so I didn’t get either of those two, but I’m still hoping to read both of them soon!