I was just thinking yesterday that it’s been a while since the last Classics Spin, so I’m pleased to see that another one has been announced today! It’s hard to believe that this is the eleventh Spin – I think I’ve taken part in all but one of them and have been very lucky with most of my results.
Here is a reminder of the Spin rules:
* List any twenty books you have left to read from your Classics Club list.
* Number them from 1 to 20.
* On Monday the Classics Club will announce a number.
* This is the book you need to read by 1 February 2016
And here is my list:
1. Shirley by Charlotte Brontë
2. The Time Machine by H.G. Wells
3. Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell
4. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
5. Mary Anne by Daphne du Maurier
6. East of Eden by John Steinbeck
7. The Heir of Redclyffe by Charlotte M. Yonge
8. The Leopard by Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa
9. Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (re-read)
10. Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray
11. Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset
12. Louise de la Valliere by Alexandre Dumas
13. The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton
14. Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne
15. The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot
16. I, Claudius by Robert Graves
17. Excellent Women by Barbara Pym
18. The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham
19. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (re-read)
20. The Woodlanders by Thomas Hardy
I have been making good progress with my Classics Club list recently and I’ve found it much easier to choose twenty titles for the Spin now that I have fewer books left to read.
The odd numbers on my Spin list are books by women and will count towards the Women’s Classic Literature Event which I’m participating in. I would be happy to get any of those numbers, particularly one of the Brontë re-reads as I just never seem to be able to find time to re-read my favourite books anymore. The even numbers on my list are by male authors and again, I think I’d be happy with any of them. I’ve included some very long books, but I’m not too worried as I’ll have until February to read them.
Will you be taking part in the Spin? Are there any numbers you think I should be hoping for?